Enjoy our data-rich report on the 2018 final of ESL ONE Cologne!
ESL ONE Cologne final standings
- 1st: Navi
- 2nd: Big
- 3/4th: Astralis
- 3/4: FaZe
- ADR: 87
- Kills: 404
- Deaths: 262
- Assists: 39
- Headshots: 155
- Fantasy points: 336
- ADR: 91
- Kills: 365
- Deaths: 272
- Assists: 62
- Headshots: 181
- Fantasy points: 336
- ADR: 84
- Kills: 372
- Deaths: 348
- Assists: 77
- Headshots: 187
- Fantasy points: 288
- ADR: 88
- Kills: 369
- Deaths: 338
- Assists: 85
- Headshots: 150
- Fantasy points: 266
Highest margin games at ESL ONE Cologne 2018
Astralis vs Cloud9
BO3 Group A, Upper Bracket Semifinal
Score: 16-1 to Astralis
- Second in the BO3
- Reasonably close opener on mirage, 16-12 to Astralis
- Astralis were the hot knife, and Cloud9 were the butter
- Cloud9 chalked up only one round in the first half in round 13, courtesy of a team kill
- 10 team kills, 3 bombs defused and 1 round with no bomb plant
FaZe vs Fnatic
BO3 Group B Upper Bracket Final
Score: 16-1 FaZe
- decider in the B03
- After a significant loss (16:4) on overpass, Fnatic scraped a 16-11 win on Mirage
- only to lose the decider in such a dramatic, one-sided fashion
- Fnatic successfully planted and defended their bomb in the 10th round
- 12 team kills and 4 bombs defused
BIG vs G2
Score: 16-1 to BIG
- Second map in the BO3
- Incredibly close game on Cache that was decided in overtime, primarily due to kennyS and shox performance on the map
- It gave G2 fans a lot of hope for the future of this roster and for their map pick which was Dust2
- The entire BIG team were on fire on Dust2, notably tiziaN and gob b with mammoth ADR scores of 117 and 112 respectively
- tiziaN was impossible to kill, and with the amount of damage he was dishing out, proved to be god like
- gob b 4K hold on top mid, taking out SmithZz with the bomb on catwalk, crazy MP9 mid-range accuracy
- SmithZz stops the 13 round streak with a 3K; this is G2’s only round, won with a team kill
- 11 team kills, 4 bombs defused and 1 round with no bomb plant
The most entertaining game at ESL ONE Cologne 2018
BIG vs MIBR, on inferno, the decider map score: 22-20 evenly matched halves, 7-8 & 8-7
Being the decider map in a BO3 meant this was always going to be exciting, but having 42 rounds of CSGO to decide it was incredible!
Both teams evenly matched as the scoreline suggests. The map MVP was nex, for pure consistency across 42 rounds.
FalleN’s 1v2 clutch in R29 had everyone on the edge of their seat. The bomb is planted on B, half the timer remains and FalleN has gob b and tiziaN on site waiting to defuse. As the bomb timer ticks on he decides to peek into B site and tags gob b.
tiziaN has the info on FalleN but has to attempt a defuse soon, and as FalleN jumps in, tiziaN attempts to take him out, tiziaN starts to defuse, FalleN throws his remaining grenade, and peeks as there is a fraction of a second left on the defuse.
The clipperino (in German) shows it all: https://clips.twitch.tv/WimpyCreativeLorisThunBeast
Notable match, the shoulda/woulda/coulda/
BIG vs Fnatic
Fnatic dominated BIG. If the two teams had met in the playoffs, it might have been Fnatic taking home the trophy.
16-10 on Cache and a whopping 16-4 on Train.
The ESL ONE Cologne 2018 Final
We made a video of all the highlights. Below in the “Key moments” section, you can click to skip to that time in the video.
NaVi vs BIG
- NaVi bans Cache
- BIG bans Mirage
- NaVi picks Overpass
- BIG picks Dust2
- NaVi picks Train
- BIG picks Inferno
- Server picks Nuke by default
NaVi ban Cache
NaVi doesn’t play cache, only 26 recorded matches with a 19% win rate. The must detest this map and a great candidate for a map ban since BIG have played a lot of their games on it with a 57% win rate.
BIG ban Mirage
BIG banned mirage, their worst map statistically with a 36% win rate on there and an obvious ban for them since NaVi has a 56% win rate (their 3rd best map).
SERVER picks Nuke by default
Spoiler: This map was not played.
NaVi pick Overpass
NaVi has played 153 games on Overpass with a 62% win rate, contrasted to BIG’s 42 games with a 45% win rate. Overpass is NaVi’s second best map (after train) so was a good choice.
- NaVi pick
- Win rate 62%
- NaVi win 16-10
- 1st half 8-7
- 2nd half 8-3
Consistent damage, 21 and 23 frags for electronic and s1mple respectively. Similar on stats, electronic edged s1mple purely on assists and headshots (although he had a few more deaths).
BIG pick Dust2
Dust2 was BIG’s map pick and statistically their best map despite playing only 14 games their win rate is 79%. NaVi has played a total of 102 games on Dust2 with only a 50% win rate. Dust2 was a great map pick for BIG.
- BIG pick
- Win rate 79% (14 games total)
- BIG win 11-16
- 1st half 7-8
- 2nd half 4-8
tabseN and tiziaN had an impact on this map, but far away in the distance was nex, he was excellent. 31/19/8 KDA and an impressive 130 average damage per round (ADR). tabseN had 97 ADR, 20/17/9 KDA and was in no means a slouch on this game.
NaVi pick Train
Train is NaVi’s best map, this is where they an beat most teams and made it the obvious choice for NaVi with 132 games played on it with a 69% win rate. Maybe if BIG blocked this map and took a chance on Mirage, it might have changed?
- NaVi pick
- win rate 69% (NaVi’s best map)
- NaVi win 16-10
- 1st half 7-8
- 2nd half 9-2
s1mple and electronic had 29/16/4 and 24/16/8 KDA respectively. 14 of elecronic kills were headshots, and he edged s1mple out on damage with an average of 113 per round (s1mple 105 ADR).
BIG pick Inferno
With only 26 games played and a 54% win rate, BIG felt comfortable here. NaVi had played 140 more games with the same win rate of 54%. A win on inferno would come down to overall team performance to win this map.
- BIG pick
- NaVi win 16-8
- 1st half 8-7
- 2nd half 8-1
NaVi clinched ESL One Cologne with this map win. nex, gob b and tizian were kept out of the game on BIG’s side, and smooya wasn’t able to be as impactful as he was in other rounds and maps. tabseN gets an honorable mention here; he was outstanding for BIG but electronic’s consistency was key in a map where flamie outperformed s1mple.
electronic has 24/10/5 KDA and tabseN matched this closely with 26/19/5. tabseN’s damage average was pretty impressive, 117 per round, as mentioned previously, his performance gave BIG a glimmer of hope while tizian, gob b and nex were <50 ADR each.
What was the best possible fantasy team for ESL ONE Cologne?
Let’s have a look at the ESL ONE Cologne 2018 Legendary pool winner, Waari666:
The ENCE picks were pretty sick and quite insightful considering sergej was one of the picks that would have swoops the maximum points. It’s worthwhile remembering our rules, 2 players per team (i.e., you cant pick all of Astralis) and 10K to spend. Let’s have a look at these players a bit more:
- A frequent top performer, a solid pick albeit for a hefty price tag of $2,900
- Surprisingly not in the top 5 “dream team” despite scoring 336 fantasy points
- Not always the best performer on the team, not the worst, at $2,600 he’s not usually as good a pick as s1mple for $200 more, but, you only have 10K to spend
- electronic was in the “dream team” with 336 points, but slightly cheaper than s1mple
- Another expensive pick because he’s a consistent performer, plus Astralis are hot right now. He is a pricey player for your roster at $2,500
- Astralis’ run was ended abruptly courtesy of the winners, NaVi. As such, they didn’t go as far and didn’t perform as well as usual
- If you picked dupreeh, you would have paid out $2,500 and netted 155 points which is “OK” for dupreeh
- An outside pick right? For $700, we feel that our winner Waari666 threw this in to make the 10K cap.
- Surprisingly ENCE had a fantastic tournament.
- Even more surprisingly, at $700, sergej was one of the “dream team”
- Another outsider. At $700, Waarii666 probably picked him to fill in the remaining salary.
- Where ENCE had an unbelievably great tournament, Aerial was not one of the top performers. He netted 83 points.
The “dream team”
Here’s the best possible team you could have picked bearing in mind the 10K salary cap and 2 players max per team:
Top 10 points per $1000
For your information, here are the ESL ONE Cologne 2018 top 10 picks per $1000. Due to the rules, you couldn’t afford or pick them all:
Fantasy point leaders
ADR is all good, as are frags, but team tactics trump everything. If you have the best player and his team cannot advance, then they won’t usually be top of the leaderboards. Additionally, damage and kills don’t always win maps. We saw a few 1v4 clutches at ESL ONE Cologne, a lot more 1v3s and way more 1v2s. Think about picking players that have excellent support, and you’ll do well.
If all else fails, put really expensive players in and “DO A WAARI” and pick the cheap ones to fill, hoping they do well. AKA a “Hail Mary”. There will never be another ESL ONE Cologne, what happened here was special, such a fantastic tournament and we hope you enjoyed it!